MrsGulp

Monday 16 December 2013

Merry Christmas - but will it really be a Merry Chrismas?

Well, yesterday morning was the annual Life Church Big Give where every child aged 0-11 who comes along gets a free (quality) gift. The excitment is almost tangible and there's such a buzz as children enter the building with their families and see all of the massive piles of presents heaped on the stage. The church is filled with Christmas trees and twinkly lights and practically every area of the campus is filled with decorations of some kind. This year the Youth & Community building was decorated to be like a Winter Wonderland in a Narnia style way. In previous years it was decked out like the Polar Express.

The church attracts families from far and wide. There are special shuttle buses picking up families from right across the Bradford District. The place is literally filled so that there are families sat upstairs in the balcony. For some unknown reason I am always late and our family was up on the balcony looking down at the rest of the church. This year was special because Lara, Sophie and Rebecca were able to share it with some of their aunts, uncles and cousins.

The morning started with some upbeat Christmas carols and then something we call a Christmas Kiss. Every year during the Sundays in December, the church does something beautiful to show some kindness to a particular person or family who may have been struggling a little. This Sunday the recipient was an incredibly amazing woman. She's a single mother of 2 young children, who had recently escaped a violent and abusive relationship to protect her children. Instead of being bitter and negative she gives her smiles and kindness to others. She went through the CAP Job Clubs programme and was successful in getting a job to provide for her small family. However, even with a job in these tough economic times she and her family don't have much left over to just have fun together. Having been through so much, the church arranged to put a massive big Christmas tree in her home with heaps of presents under the tree and some great fun activities lined up for them to do as a family during the Christmas holidays.

Then as soon as the person on the stage announces that it's time to give out the presents the place kind of erupts into relatively organised chaos. There are children who receive bicycles and are so excited that Santa brought them a bike they can't wait to have a ride on them. There are children who are not used to being given a lovely big present and then there are some that are just way too giddy at the excitement. The church is filled with young and old alike and everyone seems to be infected with excitement and joy.

In addition to this, throughout December, the church have been involved in helping out with the Allerton Kiz Klub Christmas party, preparing hampers and gifts to take into prisons and putting on a banquet for the homeless and vulnerable. Also on the Saturday, Life Church took a load of hampers to families across the Bradford District and topped up Gas and Electric Prepayment Meters to the value of £100.

I should be happy that I am a part of such an amazing church that does so much to help others, the lonely, vulnerable, hurting as well as the young, old, wealthy and basically anyone. But, I am not. I feel really grumpy and angry because we get so excited about Christmas in this world and build it up to be something fabulous and special but for so many it is not wonderful and special. I'm angry because in this 21st century developed country we still have people who are hungry or cold or just in need of company. For someone who is alone, the Christmas season must be the loneliest time of the year. Why do we get so wrapped up in ourselves and our first world problems and overlook the simple fact that there is a person living a stones throw away that we could help if we only opened our eyes and our hearts?

I saw a young family as I was leaving church and although their little girl seemed like she'd had a lovely time, the parents looked like the weight of the world was on their shoulders. I wanted to do something for them, to help shoulder their burden, whatever it was that was weighing them down but I didn't do anything. I just gave them a kind of friendly smile.

Before, I got married, I used to love helping out at the banquets for the homeless, poor and vulnerable. It was always good fun and there was some good banter.

I heard recently about someone I know who took a turkey down to a homeless shelter last Christmas. This has totally challenged me. I need to do more. There's another person I know who helps out with a group with learning disabilities and accompanies the group to a carol service.

This Sunday, the Cairns family will be having our family Christmas Dinner, then we'll be at a carol service no doubt. On Monday, I'll be at a works Christmas lunch and then at the Civic Carol Service at Bradford Cathedral celebrating Christmas. I'll end up eating far more food than I need to and no doubt there'll be some waste. I'll give and receive presents and I'll enjoy time with my family and especially my children over this season.

But, at the end of this season, how much will I have done to help others? Will the world be a better place for anyone? How can I possibly enjoy myself knowing that there are so many people for whom this will not be a Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Good read. Your thought and consideration is what counts and then u smiled and then u are involved to change things structurally. All this is good. So well some you. If I don't see you I hope u have a joyous family spiritual Christmas. Keep away from the consumer aspect. Peace to all at your church also. And I pray that the New year brings us all good.

    ReplyDelete