MrsGulp

Monday 16 December 2013

Gossip

I went to see Russell Brand at St Georges Hall, Bradford, on Sunday evening. It was my first night off doing something just for me, that I'd had in ages.

There was so much that he said which is food for thought but one thing he'd said while referring to the media and in particular the Daily Mail was, that when nuance is removed, a story is then paraded to be fact when in fact it's been taken out of context.

This made me think about Gossip, Rumour and Reputation.

Gossip and Rumour by their very nature don't need to be true in order to be devastating to a Reputation.

I hate gossip generally especially if it's based on Rumour rather than fact but there's so much gossip in and around our daily lives that it's hard not to get drawn into it.

If it's possible my response would be to check the source and if necessary go straight to the horses mouth to check the facts. Also, bear in mind that starting and spreading rumours can open up a whole legal can of worms. I wonder how many cases for slander (spoken word) and libel (written word) there are.

An excellent reputation is so hard to earn and yet can be so easily lost.

I'm sure my incredible evening with Russell will be referred to again in several more posts but that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment