MrsGulp

Thursday 10 August 2017

The Power of Music - The theme songs of my life

It never ceases to amaze me how powerful music is. 

It may be the words - words are powerful, or it may be the melody, the kind that stays with you and which you keep humming all day long.

What I love though is when the words, the melody, the beat just kind of get you so much that it stirs your soul and your spirit. However, sometimes hearing the first few bars of a song can either put you in a happy place or take you to a memory which is so sad.

Sometimes it feels like every season of my life has it's own theme song. Putting on a playlist or mix-CD (from back in the day) is like opening a memory box and looking at the objects and thinking back to why they make you feel or remembering things that happened. 

Some of the special theme songs in my life are special because of the season I was in at the time and the memories that are connected to them.

When I first became a Christian, I totally didn't "get" Christian music but there was and still is one song that touched my heart so deeply which perfectly summed up the season I started then and that song is MORE OF YOU To me this song has just never got old and listening to it still makes my heart soar. I still thirst for God, I still want more of God, I still love God, really love God and only in Him am I complete.

When I got married, I had this song played in the church before I walked in to John Denver's ANNIE's SONG. As long as I live Annie's song will always remind me of one of the happiest days of my life but it also reminds me of my precious Oma because I remember hearing her listen to a John Denver Greatest Hits album when I was small. So many happy, beautiful memories.

But then 9 months after the wedding, my first child was born. He was a beautiful little boy but he wasn't to be on this earth and he went straight to his Maker. As part of my healing process, I listened to a lot of my favourite songs from throughout my pregnancy and journalled and just tried to get a handle on the grief that threatened to overwhelm me.

I listened to some of the worship songs that I'd sung during the pregnancy and some which had a special resonance in the horrific aftermath. I made a mix CD of them which I called Songs for Baby Gulp. The CD included, amongst others:
- My Heart Is Yours by Grant Pankratz
- Held by Natalie Grant
- Safe Within Your Arms by Lara Martin and Mark Stevens
- Home by Michael Buble

Every time I hear Home, I still feel such a sense of missing my little baby and imagining what kind of young man he would be now had he lived. It's not often I listen to the CD but when I do, the pain bubbles just below the surface but also the healing too.

Each one of my 3 children has their own special song which we sing over them, changing some of the lyrics to include their names. 

So Lara's song is Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You by John Barrowman, Sophie's song is You Baby by the Mama's and the Papa's and Rebecca's is  Hall of Fame  by Will.i.am and The Script 

My children adore music and have made their own favourite playlists including songs like Happy by Pharrell and several other movie soundtracks.

They're also really in to The Rend Collective.

One thing I've noticed about each one of my children is that they just love happy music.Music that you listen to which makes you smile and want to sing along and dance. It's so much fun singing along with the children.

The current season I'm in is one of utter joy. I'd say that the theme song of the first 6 months of 2017 was definitely BURNING ONES by Jesus Culture and the theme song for the current season is SET ME ABLAZE by Jesus Culture and I'm praying as the lyrics say that I'll keep burning with an endless passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment