MrsGulp

Sunday 23 August 2009

Self Portrait Photography

Rather rashly I happened to mention to a colleague at work that I enjoyed taking photographs. My thoughts in sharing this information were that I do enjoy taking photographs but only at the level of taking random snaps and photographically recording stages in development of my Darling Baby. My colleague, however, must have assumed that I was a serious amateur photographer and invited me to participate in a monthly photograph competition at work which a number of the guys participate in.

Well for July the theme of the competition was to take a photograph which represented a well known saying or proverb. I took a photo of Darling Baby's Calpol with a wrist watch strapped around it with the tag line "Time's A Great Healer". The idea was okay but the photograph was not but I felt under pressure to submit something.

The theme this month is to do a self portrait. Well, there are two things at least, wrong with this. First, I hate being in front of the camera and second I do not have the requisite technical expertise. I had a go at taking a few shots in black and white with wet hair in front of my face but the result was rather appalling. I had thought that me peering through a curtain of wet hair would kind of hide me a little. I then thought about getting help from my husband and asked him to teach me how to use some image manipulation software but being a typical bloke rather than teach me how to use it he just kept putting it off so that we're now at the end of the month and the entry is due to be submitted any day now and he still hasn't taught me to use the software. He did try taking over though at 10pm on Sunday night - this was a bit late of course and the resulting image was far less than satisfactory.

The upshot of the whole thing is that again I am regretting even getting into the conversation about photography and will probably not be able to submit anything worthy - oh why do I always get myself into these things?

No comments:

Post a Comment