MrsGulp

Tuesday 24 November 2015

Cycling - post 1

This evening I went to do a basic cycle maintenance course courtesy of go: cycling down at Bradford's Cycle Re:cycle workshop.

I learned how to do the 'M' check on a bike, change brake pads, take off a wheel, a tyre and repair a puncture.

It was really good fun but also gave me a sense of confidence that I am capable of doing basic repairs if needed.

The odd thing though is that I don't actually cycle regularly or indeed at all.

Back in 2011,  after my middle daughter was born, I was determined to improve my health and fitness, as well as gain some new life skills. I found out that Bradford Council together with other partners incl NHS etc were doing cycling lessons for women on a Saturday morning. Going from never having ridden a bicycle to being able to ride a mountain bike around Roberts Park and along the canal towpath gave my confidence an incredible boost.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and encouraged other women to join me. We had a blast and had a great teacher who each week helped us gain in confidence and skill.

Since then, I purchased a cheap bike from Bradford Cycle Re: Cycle with the intention that I would cycle to work, cycle for leisure and generally enjoy my new skill. I even bought a trailer to put my children in while they were small.

However, I was too afraid to cycle on the roads of Bradford. I'm sorry I'm a wuss but it's terrifying out there.

But following tonight's bike maintenance course, I'm going to get my old bike out and have a look to see what condition it's in and then make a concerted effort to get out on the road. I'll definitely be getting a bit of help though http://www.wygocycling.com/free_training/

No comments:

Post a Comment