MrsGulp

Thursday 10 September 2015

The Curry Circle

I'm writing this from the comfort of my own home. It may just be a modest terrace house but it's warm, comfortable and there's a well stocked kitchen.

But the same cannot be said for all of the incredible men, women and children I met this evening.

Myself and a colleague, Cllr Arshad Hussain, went to serve alongside a team of volunteers at the Muslim Women's Council, Curry Circle.

The Curry Circle is not like any other food bank or "soup kitchen" I've ever experienced before (and I have experienced a few). The first thing I noticed was the way everything was laid out like a banquet, with round tables and crisp white table cloths. It's like a banquet of Grace.

We arrived at 6pm and already there were so many people gathered, sharing conversation over hot cups of tea, coffee or hot chocolate.

The incredibly delicious food is made and delivered by My Lahore's so the guests at this Curry Circle evening get beautiful food.

There is zero waste because when the food has been served from 7pm and when everyone has eaten they are welcome to have seconds and if they have a tub or container they can take some food away with them.

On this particular evening because we've had nice summer weather, an ice cream van came along and everyone (including volunteers) was treated to an ice-cream.

For those 2 hours it felt like we were all the same and we all belonged there, as part of One Bradford, united in fellowship over a meal. There was no preaching, no strings just love, acceptance, belonging and grace.

However, as I drove home afterwards, I couldn't stop the tears. It hurts my heart that there are so many people in need of good food, companionship and love. Yes, they received this at the Curry Circle but what now? Not everyone is blessed with warm, secure, affordable, comfortable places to call home. Not everyone has a sense of belonging.

As I go about the rest of my evening and week, I will also be holding these people and volunteers in my heart.

I am and always have been determined that politics is for purpose. We must ensure that whatever can be done is done to help those in our community who may need or want help.

No comments:

Post a Comment