MrsGulp

Thursday 11 March 2010

The Journey To Being A Screenwriter continues

Okay so I had a stressful day yesterday. I came up with 2 new movie ideas, one a light fluffy, frothy Rom com and one a poignant comedy. I was trying to think about the poignant comedy to help me get through the day at work but also to take my mind off the passing of Layla Grace on the 9th March. Have a look at her story on http://laylagrace.org/ It really affected me and my thoughts and prayers were with her family as they tried to face the first day and now every subsequent day without her.
Each time I thought about what her mother was going through, my eyes welled up with tears. The pain, anguish and disbelief that what you most feared has happened is unbelievable.
It makes me wonder what the difference is between wishful thinking and having faith for a miracle.

But, in the meantime I also thought about trying to write a one page scene to enter Julie Gray's latest competition. The deadline was midnight on Thursday 11 March and every one of the dozens of ideas I came up with was absolutely, utterly useless. Trying to get anything worthwhile onto one page was like knocking my head against a brick wall and I found it completely frustrating. The annoyance however was at my own lack of ability to just knock out a scene effortlessly.

Anyway this morning I was chatting to my friend at work who I absolutely adore and he made me laugh about it so I came up with something - totally tongue in cheek but I enjoyed it, so hopefully Julie will too. There's stiff competition out there though so I'm not under any delusion that I'll win or anything absurd like that but I think it was good practice and got me thinking and writing.

It's also part of my daily WriProNeLL i.e. Write - Promote - Network - Learn - Live well

So today was a better day personally but I don't think I'll ever forget Layla Grace or her family. There is such power in words - just check out her blog to see what I mean.



No comments:

Post a Comment